UFC Fight Night updates and results live from: Smith vs. Rakic
For the fifth consecutive week, the UFC is again inside its Apex facility on Saturday in Las Vegas, with a UFC Combat Evening starting with prelims at 6 p.m. ET on ESPN/ESPN+, then a principal card solely on ESPN+ at 9 p.m.
In the primary occasion, former gentle heavyweight title challenger Anthony Smith (33-15) will look to rebound from one of many worst nights of his profession when he takes on up-and-comer Aleksandar Rakic (12-2) of Austria. Smith is lower than 4 months faraway from a TKO loss to Glover Teixeira during which he suffered a damaged orbital, damaged nostril and misplaced a number of tooth.
Saturday’s occasion additionally options the return of former welterweight champion Robbie Lawler (28-14), who will make his first look of 2020 towards Neil Magny (23-7).
Brett Okamoto, Marc Raimondi and Jeff Wagenheim recap the motion because it occurs in Las Vegas.
Combat in progress – Girls’s flyweight: Polyana Viana (11-4) def. Emily Whitmire (4-4) by submission
Recap to come back.
Strawweight: Mallory Martin (7-3) def. Hannah Cifers (10-7) by second-round submission (Watch this combat on ESPN+)
Mallory Martin rebounds after a troublesome Spherical 1 to submit Hannah Cifers with a rear-naked choke early in Spherical 2.
Martin took Cifers’ again, sunk in a choke, pressured Cifers to faucet after which set free a blood-curdling scream.
All fights from UFC Combat Evening: Smith vs. Rakic can be out there to observe on ESPN+.
• Anthony Smith vs. Aleksandar Rakic
• Robbie Lawler vs. Neil Magny
• Alexa Grasso vs. Ji Yeon Kim
• Ricardo Lamas vs. Invoice Algeo
• Maki Pitolo vs. Impa Kasanganay
• Alessio Di Chirico vs. Zak Cummings
• Alex Caceres vs. Austin Springer
• Sean Brady vs. Christian Aguilera
• Polyana Viana vs. Emily Whitmire
• Mallory Martin vs. Hannah Cifers
Watch the whole card on ESPN+
The present of emotion was well-earned. Cifers battered Martin within the first spherical, practically ending her with massive punches. Within the second, Martin rallied, getting issues to the bottom and dealing her grappling. The outcome was a Martin submission (rear-naked choke) win at 1:33 of the second spherical.
“I’ve adversity in my life on a regular basis,” Martin mentioned. “It is nothing new to me. I come again from it on a regular basis – stronger and stronger.”
Cifers dropped Martin with a proper hand within the first and Martin might by no means get well from there. Cifers slammed her out of guard on the bottom and continued an onslaught of punches up towards the cage. Martin might solely defend — till the second spherical.
“I used to be nonetheless aware,” Martin mentioned. “She landed a giant shot, no matter. It was good. I am not gonna take that from her in any respect. I used to be nonetheless totally within the combat.”
Martin’s nook informed her to return to her sport and properly took issues to the bottom shortly, working her tremendous Brazilian jiu-jitsu. Martin bought into dominant place, took Cifers’ again after which shortly put the squeeze on a choke.
Did not see rd 1 going that approach for Cifers. Surprise how jello-like her arms will really feel for rd 2 #UFCVegas8
— Sarah Kaufman (@mmasarah) August 29, 2020
Martin (7-3) has received six of her final seven fights. This was the 26-year-old Colorado native’s first UFC win. Cifers (10-7) has misplaced 4 straight — all in 2020. The 28-year-old North Carolina native was on a two-fight successful streak previous to the skid. Cifers missed weight by one pound (117 kilos) Friday for this girls’s strawweight combat.
Nonetheless to come back:
- Mild heavyweight: Anthony Smith (33-15, 8-Four UFC, +240) vs. Aleksandar Rakic (12-2, 4-1 UFC, -280)
- Welterweight: Robbie Lawler (28-14, 9-5 UFC, +200) vs. Neil Magny (23-8, 16-6 UFC, -240)
- Girls’s flyweight: Alexa Grasso (11-3, 3-Three UFC, -300) vs. Ji Yeon Kim (9-2-2, 3-2 UFC, +250)
- Males’s featherweight: Ricardo Lamas (19-8, 10-6 UFC, -300) vs. Invoice Algeo (13-4, 0-Zero UFC, +250)
- Welterweight: Maki Pitolo (13-6, +110) vs. Impa Kasanganay (7-0, 0-Zero UFC, -130)
- Middleweight: Alessio Di Chirico (12-4, 3-Four UFC, -115) vs. Zak Cummings (23-7, 8-Four UFC, -105)
- Catchweight: Alex Caceres (16-12 1 NC, 11-10 1 NC UFC) vs. Austin Springer (10-2, 0-Zero UFC)
- Welterweight: Sean Brady (12-0, 2-Zero UFC, -420) vs. Christian Aguilera (14-6, 1-Zero UFC, +340)